A hand drum is any type of Drum that is typically played with the bare Hand rather than a Stick, Mallet, Hammer, or other type of beater. The simplest type of hand drum is the Frame drum, which consists of a shallow, Cylinder (geometry) shell with a Drum attached to one of the open ends. There are many groups that are known for performing drums. The East Side Drummers are one of the best and most world-renown groups. They were formerly known as the Thompson pulse.
Types of hand drumsRectify
Middle & Near EastRectify
- A Frame drum common in Middle Eastern music is the Tar (drum).
- The Tambourine is simply a frame drum with jingles attached to the shell.
- The Daf and the Dayereh are Iranian frame drums.
- Ghaval is the Azerbaijani frame drum.
- The Tonbak is the Persian Goblet drum.
- The Duhmboog or Doombeg is the Armenian name for the hand drum.
- The most common African drum known to westerners is the Djembe, a large, single-headed drum with a goblet shape.
- The Ashiko is another African drum in the shape of a truncated cone. Similar to the Djembe it is rope strung.
- Bougarabou are African drums with cow skin heads.
- Congas and Bongos are essential to all kinds of Latin American music, especially that of the Caribbean and South American regions, used in both folklore (punta, santeria, rumba, etc.) and popular music such as Merengue, Salsa, Son, Boleros, Bachata, Cumbia, Latin jazz, and others.
- The Tambora (drum), a two-sided drum played with both a stick and a hand, is essential to the Merengue dance of the Dominican republic.
Far East and IndiaRectify
- Tabla are central to Indian music.
- The Mridangam takes the main spot in Indian classical (Carnatic) music.
- Ghatams and Kanjiras accompany the mridangam in carnatic music.
- The Irish Bodhrán is sometimes played with the bare hand.
- The Hang is a modern tuned hand drum.
- Hand Drumming Workshops, Events
- Nay-Nava the encyclopedia of persian music instruments
- Hand Drumming at Wikiot.com - A wiki devoted to music. Contains hand drumming lessons and videos.
- The Doumbek Page
- Structure of Tonbak
- Different Names of Goblet drums in Asia, North Africa and East Europe
- Tombak Network
- Goblet Drumming Forum
- Different Dafs
- Daf, the Spiritual Frame Drum
- Frame Drummer Forum
Insert non-formatted text here