The word roll has these meanings:
- A thin flexible solid wound around a center.
- Something wrapped around a tube, e.g. toilet roll.
- Paper strips wrapped around a thin quilling tool, e.g. quilling.
- In the atmosphere:
- A roll cloud, usually found in the lee of mountains, or other places.
- In the boundary layer, horizontal convective rolls, the horizontal vortices that usually fill the layer, also known as organized large eddies.
- In music:
- In transport:
- In phonetics:
- An alternative name for a trill.
- A list of records, especially of people (see also roster, rotulus, Pipe Rolls):
- a list of eligible voters on an electoral roll.
- in video and movie terminology, a roll is vertically moving text, as in credits roll.
- the collective noun for the pupils of a school e.g. "There are 1240 pupils in the school roll."
- roll call
- A bank roll, a paper holder for coins.
- A wrapped holder for similarly shaped items, such as a candy roll
- A Kayak roll, the manoeuvre used to right a kayak that has capsized.
- A heavy machine used in a steel mill; see rolling (metalworking)
- Proper names, such as people and companies:
- Rick Roll
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.